As the Reverend George Bramwell Evens, Romany had various ministries – including Goole, Carlisle, Huddersfield and Halifax. One of his best-known churches is the Methodist Central Hall in Fisher Street, Carlisle.
Romany was minister in Carlisle from 1914 to 1926, and had raised funds for the building of a new methodist church.
The magnificent building now standing in Fisher Street was opened in 1923, a triumph for the Rev Evens, his congregation, and their benefactor, Joseph Rank.
There is a tablet in the vestibule which reads ‘During the ministry of the Rev. G. Bramwell Evens, 1914-1926, this hall was built’
Places etc sub-menu: